Monday, September 21, 2015

L'Amourette Chocolat - Single Origin Colombia 85% Dark bar - Sept. 21, 2015

Chocolate of the Day: 

L'Amourette Chocolat LLC
L'Amourette Gold - Single Origin Colombia Dark Chocolate 85% bar
Good +
Weight: .7 oz. (20 g.) / 3.5 oz. (100 g.) in total bar
Calories: 130 calories (per label) in 1/5 bar
Cost: $7.95 for 1 bar
Purchased from: ZombieRunner, Palo Alto, CA

Today was Day #3 of Chocolate and Colombia Theme Week.

Today's Dark Chocolate 85% cacao Colombia bar from L'Amourette Chocolat (San Francisco, CA) was part of the company's "L'Amourette Gold" series of single origin bars.

This was a four-ingredient bar -- Colombian cocoa beans, cocoa butter*, sugar and Bourbon vanilla beans. The 85% refers to the cocoa bean content (the darker solids + cocoa butter); and the remaining 15% was sugar and Bourbon vanilla beans. Without a lot of sugar, you taste a lot more of the deep, dark tones and flavors associated with ultra-dark chocolate.

This deep dark bar had an even, slow melt, in part due to its thickness. This enabled a gradual reveal of flavors: acidic/sour fruit (citrus, green apricot), followed by chocolate brownies, then a very slight bit of earth, and a gradual, clean finish.

On the back of the package, L'Amourette's chocolate maker (Andre V.) suggests pairing this "with a single malt whiskey or just by itself."

*A cocoa bean is about 50% fat (largely in the form of cocoa butter), depending on the bean origin. (Beans that grow further away from the Equator, e.g. in Hawaii, might pack on a bit of extra fat.) Sometimes chocolate makers will add a bit more cocoa butter to arrive at just the right balance of creamy texture and/or a balanced flavor profile. Cocoa butter is more true to the cocoa bean taste, and is preferable to emulsifiers, such as soy lecithin or other vegetable fats. However, making chocolate without these additives may require a bit more skill (and cost/time).

The content and images on this post belong to

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...